FUNCTION: Legal Intern
DIRECT SUPERIOR: Legal Advisor / Deputy Head of Delegation
TERMS: This is a full-time, paid internship position with benefits (USD $31,000 p.a. non-negotiable). Contract Period is 12 months, non-renewable. Expected start date 18 June 2018.
Minimum required knowledge & experience:
- A university degree in law or international relations, as well as a Master degree in international law (or equivalent post-graduate training)
- Good knowledge of International Humanitarian Law (IHL). Good knowledge of International Human Rights Law and the United Nations an asset
- Excellent oral and written skills in English, good understanding of another working language of the UN an asset
- Good Microsoft Office software skills (Microsoft Word, Power Point, Excel, etc.)
Must be a US Citizen or green-card holder
The intern will provide support to the Legal Advisor and other departments when necessary.
Main Responsibilities will include:
- Contributing to the Delegations legal analysis of current themes and supporting the work of the Legal Adviser/Deputy Head of Delegation
- Monitoring development at the United Nations (UN), including Security Council and General Assembly debates, media coverage, UN website and relevant legal and political blogs, to identify significant developments of interest to the delegation
- Attending and representing the ICRC at meetings at the UN, Permanent Missions to the UN, academic institutions and think tanks
- Drafting regular and timely reports and analyses on meetings and events attended as well as relevant developments reported in external sources.
- Researching and drafting reports, and reviewing documents on legal issues and other topics related to the work of the delegation
- Assisting with managerial and administrative tasks as necessary, including coordination of ICRC expert missions to New York, timely submission of ICRC reports and statements to the UN, and maintenance of legal files and records, and preparing materials for workshops, seminars and external meetings
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit resume and cover letter to Dolorosa ArrummBrungs (email@example.com) by the deadline of April 13, 2018. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.