- Reporting to: Legal Advisor/Deputy Head of Delegation
- This is a full-time, paid internship position with benefits ($31,000 USD, non-negotiable).
- Contract Period is 12 months, non-renewable.
- Expected start date June 1, 2017.
Minimum required knowledge & experience:
- A university degree in law or international relations, as well as a Master degree in international law (or equivalent post-graduate training)
- Good knowledge of International Humanitarian Law (IHL). Knowledge of International Human Rights Law and the United Nations an asset
- Excellent oral and written skills in English, good understanding of French an asset
- Good Microsoft Office software skills (Microsoft Word, Power Point, Excel, etc.)
- Must be a US Citizen or green-card holder
The intern will provide support to the Legal Advisor and other departments when necessary.
Main Responsibilities will include:
1. Monitoring developments at the United Nations (UN) including Security Council and General Assembly debates media coverage, UN websites, and relevant legal and political blogs, to identify significant developments of interest to the delegation.
2. Attending and representing the ICRC at meetings at the UN, Permanent Missions to the UN, academic institutions and think tanks.
3. Drafting regular and timely reports and analyses on meetings and events attended as well as relevant developments reported in external sources.
4. Researching and drafting reports, and reviewing documents on legal issues and other topics related to the work of the delegation.
5. Preparing materials for workshops and seminars, and external meetings.
6. Assisting with managerial and administrative tasks as necessary, including coordination of ICRC expert missions to New York, timely submission of ICRC reports and statements to the UN, and maintenance of legal files and records.
Please submit resume and cover letter to Dolorosa ArrummBrungs no later than May 5, 2017. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.