From April 11 to 15, 2016 the ICRC will be hosting a course (in French) on International Humanitarian Law for humanitarian professionals on the Island of Goree, Senegal.
This course is open to humanitarian professionals who wish to acquire practical training in IHL (non-governmental organizations, international organizations, government agencies and aid donors).
It is part of the overall strategy of the ICRC in promoting IHL rules and principles. Organized as thematic sessions combining theory and practice, this course is to help participants better understand the complex issues and challenges of IHL and humanitarian action in contemporary armed conflicts.
This course will count many renowned speakers in the field of humanitarian law and action from international organizations, international courts, the military, the ICRC and other humanitarian organizations.
Selected participants will follow a prior online IHL introductory course that will allow them to acquire basic knowledge before the course which will then deepen their understanding during the course.
The knowledge gained during the thematic sessions will be implemented and analyzed to provide concrete solutions to the problems that arise in contemporary conflicts.
Organized jointly by the ICRC in Dakar and Geneva, this edition is reserved for French-speaking humanitarian professionals, and will take place on the Island of Goree, Senegal, 11 to 15 April 2016.
Topics will include:
- The priorities and global and regional humanitarian challenges
- IHL: relevance for humanitarian professionals
- The legal characterization of the different situations of armed violence
- Multinational operations and peacekeeping
- The protection of civilians in armed conflict
- Sexual violence
- Refugees, displaced persons and migrants
- Terrorism, IHL and humanitarian action
- International criminal justice, the ICTY to the ICC
- The humanitarian principles, access and contemporary humanitarian action
Practical details of the course
The course fee is 700 euros. This includes course materials, accommodation and meals. However, participants will bear their own travel.
Interested candidates must submit a cover letter, resume and application form to firstname.lastname@example.org by February 15, 2016. The results of the selection process will be communicated to the candidate (s) on or about February 20, 2016. See attached forms below.